Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The First Edition Of The Domestic Goddess Files~ Tips Tricks & IdeasTo Make Life Easier


The Eternal Struggle Of The Domestic Goddess!

...Our Work Is Never Done.

Once in awhile I come across ideas for an article or post, that I am not sure where to put. I have 4 blogs; a family blog, a spirituality blog, an arts & crafts blog, and this, my retro fantasy blog. You would think with all of these areas to choose from, that I would never run into a problem finding a place for all of my ideas to fit…but from time to time, I do. This is an a post about home care and life organization, not so much retro, but I figure out of all of the blogs, this sort of information could go over here. Kind of a Domestic Goddessy Post.
*
When I became a Mother, I knew that life would get busy and everything would change. (It is funny because I refer to everything in my life before children as My Life B.C. It is quite fitting actually.) I have always been an artsy kind of girl, and I always loved kids, animals, and plants, and worked very well with them, but I was never really what you would refer to as domestic, and certainly not organizational! I never struggled with the childcare part of being a Mother, and I love the homemaking part of my life; but even today, I still have a hard time with the “domestic duty” portion of homemaking, and child raising.
*
I am the kind of Mom who would rather spend the afternoon in the park, or doing craft projects with the kids and their friends than sweeping, mopping and dusting. I am rather laizze faire about my house cleaning duties. As long as things are presentable, the kids are fed a well rounded diet and we all have clean clothing to wear, I am a happy Mom. My biggest priority is raising healthy, happy loving little humans, and creating a warm, safe environment for us all. Most of the time I hit that mark pretty well, but as with all things in life, there is always room for improvement. (Kind of a theme with me!)
*
[Also, just so everyone knows…these are ideas and tips that I have read, learned, heard, tried and want to share with others. But by no means do I do all of these things, all at once, all the time. No matter how much I wish that I did. I am a work in progress just like anyone else. I am by no means perfect, or even anywhere close. I wouldn’t want to give that impression. God forbid I might invite you over to my house someday and it be in a disaray, because that is just as likely to happen as it looking nice!
*
I just am an idea girl. And I like to share. If I can pass something along to others, and someone enjoys it and it’s useful, I am happy. I don’t think that housekeeping is anywhere close to the most important thing in the world; it is just one way of making life a little easier. If done efficiently, we may possibly have more time to do the truly important things. Like enjoying that warm, welcoming happy home! ]
*
We all have unwanted chores, jobs and tasks that must be completed before we can get on to the business of living life. Here are some tips and quick ideas that can help you with just that. They can keep you from backtracking and wasting valuable time that could be spent truly actualizing your goals. If you do a little each day and you will be amazed at what happens in your home. I have gathered some of my favorite, and most useful organizational homemaking sayings, tips and ideas, that have made sense, or helped me. Also, many new ones I hope to use and implement in my life.
*
I hope to make this a regular addition to Crafty Chick’s Retro Fantasy, called The Domestic Goddess Files. I hope you find as much use and value in these ideas as I have. As always, take and use what makes sense to you and fits with your life…and leave the rest. No two people organize their homes or their lives in the same way. What may not work for me or you, may be
exactly what makes the difference in someone else’s life.
*
SOME WAYS TO PUT IT ALL IN MOTION
*
~Work with the rhythms of your body. Try to plan high priority tasks around the way your body naturally works, whether you are a morning or a night person. Do routine work during your “low” times.
*
~The key is to start NOW. No matter how small the job. Do you have a letter to write? A call to make? As Nike so eloquently coined the phrase…Just do it!
*
~Keep a daily to do list and assign each task with a priority number, 1-4. Do all of the high priority stuff, (the 1’s) first; and get to the rest as you can.
*
~Provide yourself with a notebook, either loose leaf or spiral bound, and small enough to carry around with you. This notebook will become your “Master List”- a single continuous list that replaces all of the small slips of paper you may be used to. Use this notebook to keep track of all errands, things to buy, to do and any other general notes you may have, and things that require action.
*
~Another even better system, is to have a 4 or 5 tab divided notebook, (again, small enough to carry). In this book, you keep your 4 sets of lists. In the first section you have your to-do, to-buy, to-go, to-call, to-mail, and to-send on the computer. A calendar in the second section, an address book in the third, budget and expenditures in the fourth, and maybe a blank miscellaneous notes section in there is room. These can be bought or made. They can also be obtained on-line from various sources. That is the super supremo organized way!
*
~Keep your list with you at all times. A list is worse than useless if you can’t refer to it because you left it behind!
*
*And, because I have always strived to fit somewhere between these to ways to get the lists organized, and come close to what I wanted, but never just right…I recently switched to a whole new method, and have found that I like it much better!
*
~Now I use an online calendar and list system by Better Homes and Gardens. It is fairly new, and called COZI. I can enter all of my appointments, errands, etc. for my family and myself, all phone numbers, shopping and to do lists, even driving directions, and it will call me and/or leave me emails or texts to my phone if I choose. I can read it and change it from my phone. I can color code my whole family’s year, and it will automatically update items that happen more than once, when I program it that way. For years to come. This system has pretty much replaced my wall calendar, to do notebook, and much else. It even has a journal/blog where I can put photos and journal entries for special occaisions. If you are already using Microsoft Office, it will interface with that, and combine the two. It automatically updates the whole family’s calendars, so your husband or kids can enter something, and even if they forget to tell you, you will still know. You can even send messages through it to family members. Another big bonus for parents who have school age kids, is that COZI automatically uploads the school information and calander from most of the school districts, with more being added each month. You don’t have to worry about your kids forgetting to bring home the note from school about their minimum day…the calendar gets an automatic update and loads it in! Yeah! It is a truly invaluable tool. I love telling people about it.
*
~Beware of the tail wagging the dog syndrome where your appointment book, budget records, filing system and master list take more time to maintain than working out the problems they are supposed to solve.
*
~ Use separate notebooks or folders for bigger, long term individualized projects, like party or holiday planning, home repairs and decorating, or enrolling a child in college, retirement, etc.
*
~I keep an extra large 3 ring binder with 2 smaller paper folders inside, (on for each kid), to hold important papers and info for the kids. This is not their ‘schoolwork to keep folder‘- this is for yearly things like the school schedule, school & class info, baseball, dance and karate schedules, I keep their current report card for easy reference, recent or pending medical info. Basically it’s all that stuff for the kids, that I am not using daily and weekly. I don’t need to be carrying all that stuff in my notebook, but I still need it close at hand, and not in storage.
*
~Don’t be in a hurry to throw out notebook pages that have been completed. That stove part you ordered 2 months ago could be all wrong when it arrives, and you may have to call the same people all over again. (For instance, I keep all of my notes on parties that I have planned and hosted. That way I can look back to see who came, what we ate, who liked what, the number of the table and chair people, etc.)
*
~Set up an area for yourself to keep all of your home management items, notebooks and tools together. Even if it just a notebook, and a basket on a shelf. Use it to keep pens, paper, stamps, envelopes and everything you will need to organize yourself.
*
I have about a gazillion more of these quick helpful tips and ideas to share, but I think I will stop now, and leave some for future posts. I hope that you find some of this helpful for your life whether you have kids or not. I also have plenty of tips for makeup and purses, parties and holidays, travel, cooking, and a whole lot more. So be sure to check back once in awhile to see if there is something new; in addition to the usual retro awesomeness!
*
I also would love to hear from any of you, who may have other ideas. I am always on the lookout for new and innovative ways for making my life easier and run more smoothly. You can leave them here, or you are welcome to e-mail me at (craftychick1221@YAHOO.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails